Monday, May 14, 2012

Albuquerque Close-Up




Armchair Adventures
for May 13, 2012
by Paul Sullivan

Albuquerque: An Insider's Look

Notebook, Monday, leaving Albuquerque, 9:33 a.m.:
A good start on the final 410 miles of my cross-country drive from Fredericksburg to Prescott.
            Good thing, too, since I need a break from that dazzling weekend
in Albuquerque. Talk about Living the Rich Life! (Did I actually do everything I think I did in less than 48 hours?)
Guy on the left is NOT Al Unser Sr.
            If I stayed any longer with Chuck and Carol I'd double my weight and gather enough material for a year's worth of Armchair Adventure columns in another week!
            I had rolled into the city early Saturday and had no trouble locating Aztec Storage. Picked up P's gear there, stashed it into two big duffels; had great talk with co-manager Mary Ann there, then cleared out and went to FedEx store. Helpful guy took over and got the bags on their way to Spotsylvania County, pronto.
            Chuck Kreis directed me to their beautiful home in East Albuquerque near the Pass. With shameless timing I pulled into the driveway just at lunch time.
            Carol laid out a terrific table for the three of us. That tangy balsamic cole slaw was a treat.
            Chuck wondered if I'd be interested in the Unser Racing Museum. Time lapse from question to car start, 5 mins.
            Unsers more than big racing family, they're like an auto-racing franchise. Wall chart lays out family tree highlighting racers. Like, are there any non-racers?
            Chuck and I checking Indy car downforce features. Voice familiar from TV seeps in and I spin around, shake hands with "Big Al" Unser Sr.
            I learn more from him about Indycars and their drivers in 10 minutes than in last 10 years. Mr. Nice Guy.
            Back at house, Carol laid out plans to see Old Town. Change clothes and head out for that low-lying part of this high-flying city by the Rio Grande.
            First stop, the rooftop lounge of the Hotel Parq Central, a beautifully restored, handsome hostelry where the city's old section abuts the modern build-out. Rooftop garden terrace has expansive view of city. Yes, waitress says, we're just in time for Happy Hour.
            From the Parq, Chuck takes us on an Old Town tour, and while it's not my first time there, I see much more of this large and diverse area than I'd dreamed existed.
            Coronado explored the valley on the banks of the Rio Grande River here in 1540, but the town was not settled until 1706. With more than 840,000 people living in the metropolitan area today, the Spanish explorer would not recognize Albuquerque.
            We thread our way along quiet streets in old residential section to Panaderia Bakery-a novel combination of New Mexican and traditional baked cuisines, crafted by guys who care.
            We watched a cool evening gently settle over this historic city, which spread from the banks of the Rio Grande, east to the Sandia Mountains. And we dined well. My pizza simply could not have been bested.
            "Anybody interested in desert?" Carol had another stop in mind, but I waddled from Panaderia to Chuck's Volkswagen. It had been long day, and I voted to head home.
            I drifted to dreamland that night thinking of all I had seen and done…and the even busier schedule the next day. I knew we would get started with a sightseeing flight in the Aero Club's Cessna 182. Talk about sweet dreams!

           
           
           
           
           
           
           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment